Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 26/04/2017

European Parliament elections – Germany

Non-German EU nationals may vote either in their country of origin (also by postal vote or by ballot-box at consular missions, depending on the applicable national electoral law) or in Germany. They need to register to vote in European Parliament elections when voting in Germany for the first time. The request for registration must be submitted to the German municipality of residence no later than the 21st day before the elections.

They will then be put on the electoral roll for future European Parliamentary elections. This applies until they move to another country or request to be de-registered.

To vote or stand as a candidate in European Parliamentary elections you must:

  • be an EU citizen
  • have your residential address in Germany
  • be at least 18 years old on election day
  • have been permanently resident for at least three months in Germany or in another EU country
  • not be disqualified from voting or from standing as a candidate

To inform the authorities where they will vote in European Parliamentary elections, non-German EU nationals should contact their German municipality of residence.

Voting in European Parliamentary elections is not compulsory.

Non-German EU nationals standing as a candidate in European Parliamentary elections must declare that they are not standing in any other country, and that they are not disqualified from standing.

The elections of the German Members of the European Parliament are held on the basis of list nominations only. List nominations must be submitted by political parties or other political associations to the Federal Returning Officer (electoral administration). Together with the list nomination, several documents must be submitted, including a form containing those declarations for non-German EU nationals standing as a candidate. The form can be obtained from the Land Returning Officers and from the Federal Returning Officer

See also:

See main information on this topic
European Parliament elections
Public consultations
    Need more information on rules in a specific country?
    Ask national administrations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice