Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 31/07/2017

Registering your residence abroad – Luxembourg

If you stay longer than 3 months, you must register.

To register your residence you should go to the municipal administration of your place of residence.

You don't need to carry your registration certificate at all times.

Inactive citizens must present the following documents as proof of sufficient resources:

  • a copy of a valid national ID card or passport
  • proof of sufficient personal means so as to avoid becoming dependent on social security. Such proof can be a pension certificate, a letter from a bank, documents showing salaries earned or benefits granted in another EU country…
  • proof of medical insurance for the applicant and their family. This insurance must cover all health-related costs in Luxembourg (hospitalisation, transport by ambulance, medical bills…). The insurance contract can be with a private company, either in Luxembourg or in another EU country.

For more information, check with the authorities responsible for issuing residence cards: Immigration authoritiesfrançais of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (Direction de l'immigration du Ministère des Affaires étrangères et européennes).

See main information on this topic
Registering your residence abroad
Public consultations
    Need more information on rules in a specific country?
    Ask national administrations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice