Registering EU family members in another EU country – Romania
Your family members who are EU citizens must register their residence within 90 days of arrival.
The documents required to show there is a family relationship are:
- Husband / wife: civil status document certifying the marriage or, as applicable, documents certifying the family relationship with you
- (grand)children, (grand)parents and extended family members (uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, etc.): documents proving the family relationship issued by the competent authority in your home country
- Non-registered partners: a certified declaration and documents proving that you have been living together as a cohabiting couple
- Registered partners: documents proving the relationship issued by the competent authority in your home country
In some cases, you will need to prove your family members are dependent on you.
The proof of sufficient resources for your family members lies with you, except for the cases where they carry out dependent or independent activities in Romania and, as such, they are able to support themselves.
As supporting documents you can use:
- pension slip, issued at earliest 3 months before the date of entry on the territory of Romania (other similar document)
- statement concerning the global income tax for the year prior to the date of entry on the territory of Romania (other similar document)
- bank account statement or other equivalent documents certifying that the applicant earns the necessary revenues to ensure subsistence
- if you come to Romania to study, you can submit a certified declarationstating that you are able to support yourself.
As an exception, Romanian citizens are not required to prove the means of support for their family members.
The registration certificate is valid for up to 5 years - and not less than one year.