Registering EU family members in another EU country – Greece
EU citizens who are going to reside in Greece for more than three months are obliged, after the end of the quarter, to appear in person to Police's Aliens authorities of their place of residence and register themselves.
Your family members who are also EU citizens must provide the following documents in order to obtain the registration certificate:
- a certified copy of valid identity card or passport
- an official document certifying the existence of a family relationship
- a certified copy of the registration certificate of the EU citizen whom they accompany or join if it has been provided
- a certified copy of the birth certificate of EU citizen's children and/or the spouse, or a corresponding age certificate
- for EU citizen's children over 21 years old and/or his/her spouse, as well as for direct ascendants, a document from the competent authority of the country of origin, certifying that they are supported by the EU citizen; for other family members of EU citizen, a document from the competent authority of the country of origin, certifying that they were members of his/her household or proof of the existence of serious health grounds which make the care of the family member by the EU citizen absolutely necessary.
- written proof of the existence of a long-term relationship with the EU citizen
- two (2) photos.
The competent police authorities responsible for registering the residence of EU citizens are Regional Departments of Aliens in the regions of Attica and Thessaloniki, Security Sub-Divisions, Security Departments and Police's Aliens Departments in their place of residence for the rest of the country.
The registration certificate has no expiry date.
For further information on the competent police authorities responsible for registration, you may contact:
Hellenic Police Headquarters
Unit of Citizenship, Homogeneous and EU citizens