Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 12/10/2017

Using healthcare when living in another EU country

UK decision to invoke Article 50 of the TEU: More information

For the time being, the United Kingdom remains a full member of the EU and rights and obligations continue to fully apply in and to the UK:

When you move to another EU country you can get healthcare under the same conditions as other local residents. Which country's health care system ultimately pays for your medical treatment will depend on your specific situation – it will usually be your new home country, if you have moved there to work, for example.

If you take prescription medicines, remember that the prescribed medicine might not be available, or it may have a different name in another EU country.

Health care and social security systems in Europe differ from country to country. For example, in some countries you are expected to pay the doctor directly for treatment.

If you move to another EU country and seek health care in an EU country other than the one you moved to, then the rules about who is responsible for your healthcare costs depend on both:

  • your situation (for example, whether you are a pensioner or employed)
  • the country you are living in (different countries apply different rules).

To know which rules apply to you check with your National Contact Point.

Public consultations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice