Last checked: 23/06/2022

Health and safety at work

As an employer, you must ensure the health and safety of your employees in every aspect related to work. This means you must evaluate all the risks your employees may be exposed to and put in place preventive, and protective measures, such as ensuring that each worker has received the necessary health and safety information and training.

Sometimes, you might have to take additional measures, for example, to prevent dangerous situations occurring and provide training on first aid, fire-fighting and evacuation of workers. You should also appoint at least one trained staff member to ensure these measures are complied with.

Risk assessment

There are no EU rules that describe exactly how you should conduct risk assessments, however, in some countries, national rules may include more detailed requirements concerning the content and form of risk assessments.

There are certain actions to take while conducting a risk assessment:

When making a risk assessment you will also need to pay attention to workers who might be especially vulnerable, and to others who might come to your premises such as contractors or visitors.

After identifying the hazards and their possible effects, you will need to evaluate and prioritise the risks. You should also verify whether there are any legal obligations; these may be detailed in the risk assessment specifications or connected to more specific training of workers related to a given risk or activity sector.

Health and safety specialist

If you don't have the necessary competences to conduct the risk assessment or to organise the preventive and protective health and safety measures within your company, you will need to ask a health and safety specialist to carry it out for you.

Depending on what kind of business you are operating, you can also carry out a risk assessment with the help of a free online tool.

How do you document the risks?

Once you have conducted the risk assessment you will need to document the results.

There are no specific EU requirements, but it's recommended that the written document includes at least the:

For more details of what you have to do in a particular EU country, check the national health and safety at work rules.

Choose country

See also

EU legislation

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Do you have questions on operating a business cross-border, for example exporting or expanding to another EU country? If so, the Enterprise Europe Network can give you free advice.

You can also use the assistance service finder to find the right help for you.

Share this page: