The ESPON SUPER project has produced a wealth of information about how to promote sustainable urbanization and land use. In this session, we will show maps of future urban growth in 2050, provide a way to assess sustainability of urbanization and present the Guide to Sustainable Urbanisation, available online.
This session entails a discussion between scientists and policymakers: how can we use the findings from the ESPON SUPER project to make better policy decisions? What can we learn from other regions' experiences?
Presentations from SUPER (10 minutes each)
– Scenarios (PBL): three urbanisation scenarios for 2050: compact, polycentric and diffuse
– Sustainability assessment (Urbanex): sustainability of three urbanisation types,
– Interventions (POLITO): policies, strategies and instruments promoting sustainable urbanisation,
– EU policies (ÖIR): impact EU policies on urbanisation,
Reaction from panel: (10 minutes each)
– EUROCITIES (Dorthe Nielsen)
– ECLEI (Holger Robrecht)
– SUL_NBS Urban Partnership (Daniel Balinski)
– MCPP (Ines Androić Brajčić)
Answers to questions posed in the Zoom chat.
Lia Van den Broek, Researcher, PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, Netherlands.
Marjan van Herwijnen, senior project expert, ESPON EGTC, Luxembourg.
Giancarlo Cotella, Professor, Politecnico di Torino, Italy.
David Evers, Senior Researcher, PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, Netherlands.
Mailin Gaupp-Berghausen, Scientific Associate, ÖIR - Austrian Institute for Regional Studies and Spatial Planning, Austria.
Ivana Katuric, Director, Urbanex, Croatia.
Cohesion and Cooperation
Espon Egtc, ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability, Ministry of Construction and Physical Planning of the Republic of Croatia, PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, Politecnico di Torino (POLITO), URBANEX, ÖIR GmbH