[Graphic in PDF & Word format]
Briuselis, 2004 m. birželio 29 d.
10995/04 (Presse 214)
2595–asis Tarybos susitikimas
Pirmininkas p. Bertie AHERN, T.D.
– President designate of the Commission 6
– Secretary-General of the Council, High Representative for CFSP 6
– Deputy Secretary-General of the Council 6
– Appointment of future EU Foreign Minister - Declaration 6
OTHER ITEMS APPROVED
The Governments of the Member States and the European Commission were represented as follows:
Mr Guy VERHOFSTADT Prime Minister
Mr Vladimír ŠPIDLA Prime Minister
Mr Anders Fogh RASMUSSEN Prime Minister
Mr Gerhard SCHRÖDER Federal Chancellor
Mr Juhan PARTS Prime Minister
Mr Konstatinos KARAMANLIS Prime Minister
Mr José Luis RODRÍGUEZ ZAPATERO Prime Minister
Mr Jacques CHIRAC President of the Republic
Mr Bertie AHERN, T.D. The Taoiseach
Mr Silvio BERLUSCONI Prime Minister
Mr Tassos PAPADOPOULOS President of the Republic
Mr Indulis EMSIS Prime Minister
Mr Algirdas Mykolas BRAZAUSKAS Prime Minister
Mr Jean-Claude JUNCKER Prime Minister, Ministre d'Etat, Minister for Finance
Mr Péter MEDGYESSY Prime Minister
Hon. Lawrence GONZI, M.P. Prime Minister
Mr Jan Peter BALKENENDE Prime Minister
Mr Wolfgang SCHÜSSEL Federal Chancellor
Mr Marek BELKA Prime Minister
Mr José Manuel DURÃO BARROSO Prime Minister
Mr Jan ROP Prime Minister
Mr Mikuláš DZURINDA Prime Minister
Mr Matti VANHANEN Prime Minister
Ms Laila FREIVALDS Minister for Foreign Affairs
The Rt Hon Tony BLAIR Prime Minister
Mr Romano PRODI President
The Council adopted a Decision nominating Mr José Manuel Durão Barroso as the person it intends to appoint as President of the Commission for the period from 1 November 2004 to 31 October 2009 (10808/04). The Decision will be forwarded to the European Parliament for approval.
In accordance with the provisions of the Treaty, the Council will nominate, by common accord with Mr Barroso, the 24 other persons they intend to appoint as Members of the Commission for the same period. The President and the other Members of the Commission thus nominated shall be subject as a body to a vote of approval by the European Parliament. After approval by the European Parliament, the President and the other Members of the Commission shall be appointed by the Council, acting by a qualified majority.
The Council adopted a Decision appointing Mr Javier Solana Madariaga as Secretary-General of the Council, High Representative for Common Foreign and Security Policy, for a further period of five years with effect from 18 October (10946/04).
The Council adopted a Decision appointing Mr Pierre de Boissieu as Deputy Secretary-General of the Council for a further period of five years with effect from 18 October (10947/04).
In the margins of the meeting, the Heads of State or Government adopted the following Declaration:
"Declaration by the Heads of State or Government on the transition towards the appointment of the future Minister for Foreign Affairs of the European Union
1. The Council, meeting at the level of Heads of State or Government, has appointed today Mr Javier Solana Madariaga as Secretary-General of the Council, High Representative for the common foreign and security policy as from 18 October 2004. The Heads of State or Government have also decided, in agreement with the President designate of the Commission, that Mr Javier Solana Madariaga will be appointed Union Minister for Foreign Affairs on the day of entry into force of the Constitution.
2. The Heads of State or Government underline the commitment of Member States to work in support of the Secretary-General of the Council, High Representative for the common foreign and security policy during the transition to the establishment of the function of Union Minister for Foreign Affairs. The Heads of State or Government invite the President of the Commission and the Secretary-General of the Council, High Representative for the common foreign and security policy to organise the working relations between them in a way that will ensure a smooth and efficient transition and to take necessary measures to that end."
OTHER ITEMS APPROVED
 The Council, at the level of Heads of State or Government, has also appointed, as from the same date, Mr. Pierre de Boissieu as Deputy Secretary-General of the Council, who will be appointed Secretary-General of the Council on the day of entry into force of the Constitution, for the remainder of his previous term of office.