NextGenerationEU is more than a recovery plan – it is a once in a lifetime chance to emerge stronger from the pandemic, transform our economies and societies, and design a Europe that works for everyone.
We have everything we need to make this happen. We have a vision, we have a plan and we have agreed to invest €806.9 billion* together.
Find out how the EU is making Europe healthier, greener, and more digital, and how you can be part of the change. As NextGenerationEU funding becomes available and projects kick off, you will find more information here about initiatives in your area.
Together, we will Make it Real.
*This figure is in current prices. It amounts to €750 billion in 2018 prices.
Make It Green
Europe is on track to become the first climate-neutral continent by 2050 – we will produce no more greenhouse gases than our ecosystems can naturally absorb. With NextGenerationEU, we will invest in environmentally-friendly technologies, roll out greener vehicles and public transport, and make our buildings and public spaces more energy efficient.
But we also need to protect our natural environment. We will:
- improve water quality in our rivers and seas, reduce waste and plastic litter, plant billions of trees and bring back the bees
- create green spaces in our cities and increase the use of renewable energy
- make farming more environmentally-friendly so our food is healthier.
Make it Digital
The future will be driven by technology. So we’re making the next 10 years Europe’s digital decade! With NextGenerationEU:
- you will be able to connect everywhere with 5G and EU-wide ultra-fast broadband
- you will receive a digital identity (eID), making it easier to access online public services and giving you more control over your personal data
- our cities will become smarter and more efficient
- online shopping will be more secure
- artificial intelligence will help us to fight climate change and improve healthcare, transport and education.
The EU is funding online training courses so that everyone, young or old, can improve their digital skills. We’re helping small and medium-sized businesses go online. And we’re making e-education more accessible.
With NextGenerationEU, we’re ready to make Europe digital, are you with us?
Make it Healthy
The coronavirus pandemic has affected us all in one way or another – physically, mentally, socially. Now, we want to build a safer and healthier EU so that we are better prepared for any future crisis.
With NextGenerationEU, we will:
- work with all EU countries to protect against health threats
- invest more in research and innovation to develop vaccines and treatments, not just for new diseases like coronavirus, but also for cancer
- modernise our health systems so that hospitals in every EU country have better access to new technology and to medical supplies
- fund training for Europe’s medical and healthcare professionals.
Together, we can make Europe healthier. However, it’s not just about big actions. A good diet and regular exercise can go a long way towards improving our physical and mental wellbeing.
With NextGenerationEU, we’re ready to make Europe healthy, are you with us?
Make it Strong
The pandemic has impacted all of our lives. Many have suffered illness or bereavement, others have lost jobs or income. Now we want to build a stronger, more resilient Europe.
With NextGenerationEU, we are:
- encouraging young people to study science and technology, which open doors to the green and digital jobs of the future
- supporting further education and apprenticeships
- offering loans and grants to young entrepreneurs.
But the EU is also helping many sectors bounce back. We’re boosting support for tourism, culture and the arts across the Union, making them more digital and sustainable.
See how EU support can help you continue your education or find your dream job. Check out our Erasmus+ opportunities and our EU Youth Guarantee. Find out what support is available for your business to become more green and digital.
With NextGenerationEU, we’re ready to make Europe strong, are you with us?
Make it Equal
From north to south, east to west, we want to build a Europe that works for everyone. We want all Europeans to have equal opportunities, whoever they are and wherever they live. And we want to celebrate diversity in all its forms.
With NextGenerationEU, we are:
- fighting against racism and xenophobia
- promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment
- protecting the rights of the LGBTQI+ community and combating discrimination
- strengthening EU law to cover all forms of hate speech and hate crime.
Equality also means economic and social opportunities for all. With NextGenerationEU, we are boosting employment opportunities for people with disabilities, as well as for those living in rural, remote or disadvantaged areas. We are helping more people get decent, adequate housing. And we are investing in inclusive education for children, whatever their background, situation or special needs.
Everyone can do their part – by promoting equal opportunities and calling out discrimination and hate speech, in real life and online.
With NextGenerationEU, we’re ready to make Europe for everyone, are you with us?
You’ll soon be able to find here more information about NextGenerationEU-funded projects in your area. And in the meantime, here are just some of the 51 stories of real people and communities across Europe who, with a helping hand from the EU, have overcome challenges created by the pandemic.
Check out the other Recovery from coronavirus: success stories.