The conference is organised by the International Atomic Energy Agency in cooperation with European Commission's Joint Research Centre (JRC) and the Government of the Netherlands.
The objective of the conference is to share regulatory experiences related to improving the effectiveness of nuclear and radiation regulatory systems, taking into account:
- the outcomes of the past conferences in this series
- the 7th review meeting of the contracting parties to the Convention on nuclear safety
- the 6th review meeting of the contracting parties to the Joint Convention on the safety of spent fuel management and on the safety of radioactive waste management
- the open-ended meetings of legal and technical experts on implementation of the Code of Conduct on the safety and security of radioactive sources and its supplementary guidance
- works performed by the Commission on safety standards
- and related activities
Furthermore, the conference addresses the international framework for the security of nuclear and other radioactive material. Ultimately, the main focus of the conference is how to work together to address cross-cutting regulatory areas.