A virtual leaders' summit will be organised by the Saudi Arabian 2020 G20 presidency, replacing the physical meeting originally planned to take place in Riyadh.
The EU will be represented by Charles Michel, President of the European Council, and Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission.
The summit follows an earlier, extraordinary G20 leaders' video conference that was held on 26 March to coordinate action to fight the COVID-19 pandemic. It will be an opportunity for G20 leaders to take stock of the collective response and to further discuss both international cooperation in fighting the virus and the socio-economic consequences of the pandemic.
At their meeting on 26 March, leaders expressed their determination to spare no effort, both individually and collectively, to:
- protect lives
- safeguard people’s jobs and incomes
- restore confidence, preserve financial stability, revive growth and recover stronger
- minimise disruptions to trade and global supply chains
- provide help to all countries in need of assistance
- coordinate on public health and financial measures