European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Rules on the exercise of copyright and related rights applicable to certain online transmissions of broadcasting organisations and retransmissions of television and radio programmes in JURI
- Value added tax obligations for supplies of services and distance sales of goods in ECON
- Administrative cooperation and combating fraud in the field of value added tax in ECON
- The EU-Africa Strategy: a boost for development in DEVE
- Vote on the 2017 Sakharov Prize finalists in AFET-DEVE
- Dual quality of food products in IMCO
- Mandate for trade negotiations with Australia in INTA
- Mandate for trade negotiations with New Zealand in INTA
- Energy performance of buildings in ITER
- Union Resettlement Framework in LIBE
- Cross-border parcel delivery services in TRAN
- Saving Lives: Boosting Car Safety in the EU in TRAN
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Hearing with Andrea Enria, Chairman of the European Banking Authority as well as Chair of the Joint Committee of the European Supervisory Authorities and, in that capacity, second Vice-Chair of the European Systemic Risk Board in ECON
- Hearing with Gabriel Bernardino, Chairman of the European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority in ECON
- Hearing with Steven Maijoor, Chairman of the European Securities and Markets Authority in ECON
- Hearing on "The situation and rights of women with disabilities" in FEMM
- STOA workshop ”Therapies for the future - Exploring solutions for innovative treatments in Europe”
- Public hearing on “Militarisation in the Black Sea” in SEDE
- Public hearing on “The Monsanto papers and glyphosate” in ENVI-AGRI
- Interparliamentary Committee Meeting on "The future of Europe: Perspectives on the European Parliament's proposals and the Commission White Paper" in AFCO
- Workshop on “Post-2020 audit reform in the EU” in CONT
- Public hearing on “Trade related aspects of Economic Governance” in INTA
- Hearing on “The situation of Roma in the Balkans region” in DROI
- Hearing on “The European Protection Order” in FEMM
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)