European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Addressing geo-blocking and other forms of discrimination based on customers' nationality, place of residence or place of establishment in the internal market in IMCO
- EU eGovernment action plan 2016-2020 in IMCO
- Coordination of certain provisions laid down by law, regulation or administrative action in Member States concerning the provision of audiovisual media services in view of changing market realities in CULT
- Standards for the reception of applicants for international protection in LIBE
- Energy efficiency labelling in ITRE
- Internet connectivity for growth, competitiveness and cohesion: European gigabit society and 5G in ITRE
- FinTech: the influence of technology on the future of the financial sector in ECON
- Preliminary overview of the performance of the competent administrative and judicial authorities as regards investigating cases of tax evasion, tax avoidance, tax fraud and money laundering in PANA
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Public hearing on “Implementation of the landing obligation and allocation of quotas” in PECH
- Joint Committee meeting on “European Fund for Sustainable Development (EFSD) and establishing the EFSD Guarantee and the EFSD Guarantee Fund” in AFET-DEVE-BUDG
- Joint Committee meeting on “The implementation of the European Fund for Strategic Investments” in BUDG-ECON
- Joint Committee meeting on “Online Platforms and the Digital Single Market” in ITRE-IMCO
- Public Hearing on “Updating CRR, CRD, BRRD and SRMR: the new banking legislation package” in ECON
- Public Hearing on “Sovereign Investment Funds” in ECON
- Public hearing on “added benefits of the EU on the environment, public health and food safety” in ENVI
- Hearing on the Financing of the European Structural & Investment Funds and the link between these and other investment funds in BUDG
- Panel discussion on “Money laundering and tax evasion: Impact on EU Member States’ Economy and Finances” in PANA
- Panel discussion on “Responsibilities of EU Member States vis-à-vis EU applicable law and/or EU legal loopholes?” in PANA
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (see below)