European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Safety rules and standards for passenger ships in TRAN
- European Year of Cultural Heritage in CULT
- Entry/Exit System (EES) in LIBE
- Discharge 2015: General budget of the EU in CONT
- Report on the inquiry into emission measurements in the automotive sector in EMIS
- Addressing human rights violations in the context of war crimes, and crimes against humanity, including genocide in FEMM
- Estimates of revenue and expenditure for the financial year 2018 in BUDG
- Rules for wholesale roaming markets in ITRE
- Sustainable management of external fishing fleets in PECH
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Hearing on "The state and development of the biomass of fish stocks managed by the Common Fisheries Policy" in PECH
- Hearing on “Economic losses of transport companies because of strengthened border checks” in TRAN
- Hearing on “The situation of fundamental rights in Hungary” in LIBE
- Joint Committee meeting on “Better services for skills and qualifications (Europass)” in EMPL/CULT
- Joint Committee meeting on “Disclosure of income tax information by certain undertakings and branches” in ECON/JURI
- Joint Committee meeting on “Women and their roles in rural areas” in FEMM/AGRI
- Inter-parliamentary Committee Meeting on "The Third Reform of the Common European Asylum System - Up for the Challenge" in LIBE
- Joint Committee meeting on “Prevention of the use of the financial system for the purposes of money laundering or terrorist financing” in ECON/LIBE
- Public hearing on “EU Trade Defence Instruments” in INTA
- Joint Committee Meeting on “European Fund for Sustainable Development (EFSD) and establishing the EFSD Guarantee and the EFSD Guarantee Fund” by AFET/DEVE/BUDG
- Workshop on “Implications of Brexit” in IMCO
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (see below)