You are invited to join the 3rd edition of the Global Strategy PhD Prize awarded by the Egmont – Royal Institute for International Relations, the European Security and Defence College (ESDC), and the EU Institute for Security Studies (EUISS). Eligible are all doctoral dissertations drafted in one of the working languages of the Common Foreign and Security Policy (English and French), which address a policy-relevant topic related to the foreign, security and defence policy of the EU that falls within the remit of the EU Global Strategy, and which have been successfully defended between 1 September 2015 and 30 June 2017.
The winner will be awarded:
- A certificate signed by the heads of the three organizing institutions.
- A cash prize of €1000.
- A paid 3-month visiting fellowship at the EUISS (€2500 per month and a return economy class ticket to Paris), which is to lead to an EUISS and/or Egmont publication (subject to the respective review procedures).
The selection will be made by a jury composed of Prof. Dr. Sven Biscop (Egmont, chair), Dr. Antonio Missiroli (EUISS), Dirk Dubois (ESDC), and one representative each of the EDA, the EEAS, the Commission, and the academic community.
The selection will take place in two steps:
- By 31 July, candidates must submit an expression of interest including a 1-page abstract of the dissertation, with a specific focus on policy relevance, to the chair of the jury at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By 4 September, the representatives of the three organizing institutions will shortlist 3 to 5 candidates.
- By 11 September, the shortlisted candidates must submit their complete dissertation.
- By the end of October, the full jury will select the winner.
- On 6-7 November, the winner will be invited to receive his/her award on the occasion of the ESDC Annual Training and Education Conference in the Egmont Palace in Brussels.