Image

EU Quality Schemes

Quality schemes in the European Union protect specific products and promote the traditional methods used to produce them. The labels identify products as authentic, of high quality and compliant with strict safety standards. 

 

Logo

Protected Designation of Origin (PDO)

Products within this category have clear and indisputable links to the region in which they are produced: all the aspects of production, processing and preparation happen in that specific region. A few examples: Roquefort (France), Noord-Hollandse Gouda PDO (Netherlands), Bovški sir (Slovenia)

Logo

Protected Geographical Indication (PGI)

This label certifies a certain relationship between a region and name of a product. Here only at least one stage of the production must take place in the region. Examples: Salame Piemonte (Italy), Thüringer Leberwurst (Germany), Gornooryahovski sudzhuk (Bulgaria)

smalleuorganiclogo

The EU Organic label

This label is found on EU food and drinks products that are produced in compliance with EU organic food production rules. It ensures that products certified as Organic have fulfilled strict conditions on how they must be produced, processed, transported and stored, with a limited environmental impact. It encourages responsible use of energy and natural resources; maintenance of biodiversity and a high standard of animal welfare. 


The organic logo can only be used on products that have been certified as organic by an authorised control agency or body. The logo can only be used on products when they contain at least 95% organic ingredients and additionally, respect further strict conditions for the remaining 5%. Next to the EU organic logo, a code number of the control body must be displayed as well as the place where the agricultural raw materials composing the product have been farmed.