Building a Sustainable Financial System - the Role of the EU --- CANCELLED following Brussels attacks ---
This High Level Panel will focus on the role of financing in sustainable development in the context of the Commission recent proposals for a Circular Economy and for Capital Markets Union which, amongst others, are relevant for the EU’s role in the implementation of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, the Paris Agreement, and the Addis Ababa Action Agenda, and for the upcoming UN Environment Assembly (UNEA 2) in Nairobi in May 2016.
The panel forms part of a series of similar high level events under the “2016 – Year of Green Finance”, led by UNEP Inquiry into the Design of a Sustainable Finance System Initiative.
Building a Sustainable Financial System - the Role of the EU (22 March 2016, Brussels)
This High Level Panel forms part of a series of similar high level events under the “2016 - Year of Green Finance”, led by UNEP Inquiry into the Design of a Sustainable Finance System Initiative.
The Panel will focus on the role of financing in sustainable development in the context of the Commission’s recent proposals for a Circular Economy and for Capital Markets Union. It will include contributions from Achim Steiner, Executive Director of UNEP, as well as Frans Timmermans, First Vice President of the European Commission.
Mr Steiner will be presenting key findings from the UNEP Inquiry on the Design of a Sustainable Financial System and launch an Inquiry Discussion Paper for Europe. This Discussion Paper puts key outcomes of the Inquiry’s Final report in the European context and feeds into the European Commission’s public consultation on long-term and sustainable investment, to assess the state of play in the European Union.
Registration is now closed, live streaming will be available as of 13h00 on March 22nd, to be followed here: http://bit.ly/1M4lW8p
European Parliament, room P7C050 from 13.00-15.00 on 22.03.2016
13.00-13.30 HIGH-LEVEL ADDRESS
- Sirpa Pietikaïnen – President GLOBE EU, MEP (Chair)
- Frans Timmermans – First Vice - President, European Commission (Video message)
- Daniel Calleja Crespo – Director-General DG-ENV, EU Commission
- Achim Steiner – Executive Director, UNEP
13.30-14.20 PANEL DISCUSSION (Chair: Jo Leinen, Member of European Parliament)
- Sirpa Pietikaïnen – MEP and President of GLOBE EU
- Peter Branner – SEB Investment Management (tbc)
- Ludo Bammens – Director, Kohlberg, Kravis, Roberts & Co.
- Frank Elderson – Pension regulator and Member of the Executive Board of Dutch National Bank
- Said El Khadraoui – European Commission (EPSC)
- Achim Steiner – Executive Director UNEP
14.20-14.50 Discussion with the audience
14.50- 15.00 Conclusion
Rapporteur: Jorge Nuñez Ferrer, Center of European Policy Studies