Rwanda - Sustainable cities
Sustainable Rwandan Cities Fit for the Digital Age
To tap in the potential of Rwandan cities to drive innovation and spur the creation of jobs fit for the 21st century.
The Team Europe Proposal:
1. Ensure that smart cities use and follow:
- Scalable technology solutions;
- Green urbanisation models.
2. City Data collection models and monitoring processes (strategic planning & management):
- Open urban data platforms;
- Linkages with global/regional initiatives - the EU-AU Data Flagship.
3. Foster inclusive and accessible local services
4. Promotion of EU “green” private investments (both in municipal infrastructure and emerging tech companies) and knowledge transfer
5. Elevate Rwanda as a digital and innovation hub in the region, ensure access to:
- Affordable broadband and digital services;
- Digital skills;
- Digital transformation for SMEs & start-ups (African EU Digital Innovation Bridge, Kigali Innovation City models).
6. E-Government: create and upgrade digital systems for government data management and transparency
7. Promote a human-centric approach
8. Ongoing support:
- Kigali “Green city” project and wastewater management (DE);
- Kigali first central sewerage system, circular economy investments, energy efficiency, mobility (EIB);
- Urban and Economic Development Initiative (UEDI), Enabel (BE);
- Kigali citizen platform and Air Quality monitoring system (AFD).
About Rwanda - Sustainable cities
- Green deal
- Science, Technology, Innovation and Digital
- Sustainable growth and jobs
- Quality Education
- Clean Water and Sanitation
- Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Responsible Consumption and Production