Guidelines on EU Blending Operations
This document provides guidance and basic information on blending operations managed by the European Commission’s Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development (DG DEVCO) and Directorate-General for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations (DG NEAR) in the context of external aid operations. The guidelines summarise the key features, modalities and operational aspects of blending. They provide guidance on blending operations to be implemented within the 2014–2020 Multiannual Financial Framework, taking stock of blending experience from 2007 to 2013. They cover blending operations conducted under the EU Blending Framework, referring to other blending mechanisms for illustrative purposes where relevant.
The guidelines are organised as follows:
- Chapter 1 introduces the purpose of the EU Blending Framework.
- Chapter 2 outlines the concept of and rationale for blending.
- Chapter 3 presents the forms of EU support provided under blending operations, including guidance on the use of specific instruments.
- Chapter 4 presents an overview of blending operations.
- Chapter 5 outlines the typical operational cycle of blended operations, highlighting the role of specific stakeholders in the process including the EU Delegations and Headquarters Thematic and Operational Units.
- Chapter 6 highlights the risks and mitigation tools involved in blending.
- Chapter 7 presents the key issues in ensuring the visibility of blended operations.
- Chapter 8 outlines climate change issues relevant for blended operations.
- Chapter 9 introduces issues pertaining to private sector involvement.
The guidelines are complemented by four sector reference documents which provide basic information on how potential support can be delivered by EU blending operations in the areas of energy, transport, water and sanitation, and private sector development.