During this innovative two-week training course which will be held from
12 until 23 September 2011, the following key questions will be discussed:
* How can you increase social and financial accountability in your
municipality or projects towards citizens?
* How can they benefit from involving citizens and organisations in a smart
* What are the different steps of communication and participation and when
and how should these steps be used?
* How to deal with corruption and promote integrity?
You will discuss the accountability chain, the participation ladder and the
do´s and don´ts of citizen participation. Furthermore, you will work on
case studies from different parts of the world, experience different
perspectives in role-play and go on study visits to municipalities, active
citizen groups and participation projects in the field of urban planning,
social cohesion and safety.
This course will help you:
* define your own role and responsibilities in participation processes as
well as the role of your partners;
* specify the conditionsfor successful participation projects;
* apply tools for communication with citizens, NGOs and other stakeholders;
* identify the do’s and don’ts of citizen participation and
* consider municipalities’ social and financial accountability to their
* understand and recognize structures behind corruption and get acquainted
with possible counter-measures.
*Learn from experts and other participants*
Contributions come from professionals and practitioners in the field of
citizen participation and social and financial accountability, for example,
from mayors and deputy-mayors, municipal staff, experts from well-known
institutes and residents. During the course there is also ample time to
exchange experiences with the other participants.
*Deadline for application is 15 July. There are only a few places left!*
For more information, please see www.thehagueacademy.com  or contact us at