2.1 Enabling environment
Principal research question details: What are the key ways to successfully support the enabling environment at national and sub-national level for enhancing the livelihoods of those dependent on the informal economy, with special attention to social inclusion? This includes legal and policy framework development, institution and capacity strengthening as well as coordination.
Summary of Recommendations on Enabling Environment Strengthening
1. Promote inter-country exchange on supporting decent work and poverty reduction with people dependent on the informal economy (IE). Place particular emphasis on exchange between countries in the same region and consider national context and priorities. Establish and/or support inter-country networks to facilitate exchange.
2. Use a two pronged approach in projects of all sizes on the IE: 1) strengthen the enabling environment with government and non-state actors with regard to the IE 2) engage in community level actions on the IE with the full participation of relevant local actors.
3. Engage in advocacy using very high quality data to identify gaps and strengthen holistic legal and policy frameworks approaches on the IE. Include people dependent on the IE in advocacy.
4. Support national and sub-national development, implementation and enforcement of relevant legal and policy frameworks on decent work and poverty reduction for people dependent on the IE.
5. Provide support for excellent coordination, institutional and capacity strengthening with actors across IE related subjects at national and all sub-national levels (including to communities). Include focus on detailed and clearly formulated strategies for planning and prioritising actions on the IE at all levels.
6. Promote linkages between private and public sector with people dependent on the IE. Include support for value chain development analysis in critical areas of benefit to the IE.
SOURCE: RNSF research - Volume 4.2.
ENABLING ENVIRONMENT: consult the list of GOOD PRACTICES