GOOD PRACTICE: Value chain-based cooperatives establishment. AJPRODHO JIJUKIRWA - Rwanda.
Good Practice - Value chain-based cooperatives establishment; additional tool to spread formalisation of informal workers activities.
Formalization or regularization of informal workers’ activities through formation of a minimum of 29 value chain-based cooperatives per district based on hands-on skills/technical skills and general services.
The representatives of the formed cooperatives were trained on basic principles of cooperatives for disseminating themes related to member’s rights and duties and basic needs to sustain their initiatives.
Training sessions on the implementation of value chain-based cooperatives were organized to strengthen, as well as insightfully, the initiated activities. For this purpose, three trainings in each district were organized and delivered. The value chain-based cooperatives were formed based off of the content of the training and methodology of delivering, as well as with the strong involvement of local leaders.
The action lies within the project implementation with the intent of facilitating 214 cooperatives in the regularization process, accessing government-provided business services, such as Business Development Centres and maintaining regular contact with labour unions.
The content of the training covered the following subjects: Cooperatives governance, business plan development, identification of market opportunities and financial management as well as importance of labour union and its principles.
Key Areas of Good Practice
- Awareness raising among informal economy operators/workers and other stakeholders (3.4.3)
- Vocational and/or skills training (3.3.6)
- Organising Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) graduates and other informal economy workers into associations, cooperatives or other officially registered groups (3.1.9)
- Providing support to informal economy operators/workers to access services (social protection services, business registration, access to formal savings and credit schemes, training, etc.) (3.3.1)
- Entrepreneurship and business management training (3.3.2)
- Leadership training, empowerment training (3.3.4)
- Knowledge of rights, laws and regulations (3.3.1)
- Support to improve Occupational Safety and Health among informal economy workers (3.2.3)
- Community-based social protection (3.4.4)
- Continuous monitoring and coaching (3.3.4)