Do more through capacity4dev
1.1 History and track records of decentralisation reforms
Page created byJorge Rodriguez Bilbao3 April 2017
Over the last 3 decades of decentralisation reforms worldwide, generic lessons have been learnt:
- Decentralisation is driven by politics and not by development objectives.
- There is no empirical evidence of a link between decentralisation and development.
- A democratic foundation is important for a development friendly decentralisation process.
- Uneven development and territorial imbalances are a frequent risk off national development policies.
- A top down decentralisation reform dynamics is not enough. Bottom up dynamics and intergovernmental system for cooperation between different territorial layers are crucial.
To go further... read this
To go further... watch this