Do more through capacity4dev
Regions & Countries
3rd Asia Regional Meeting, September 2019
After its last Regional Meeting Asia in Bangkok in June 2015, the Policy Forum on Development is returning to the region from 24 - 26 September 2019 to meet with around 80 representatives of civil society organisations and local authorities to discuss the progress made since the adoption of the 2030 Agenda. The region still faces systemic issues that challenge the advancement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), notably deepening inequalities. Despite progress against income-based measures of poverty, many people remain vulnerable to falling back into extreme poverty. The agenda will look at the regional, national and local level challenges and solutions to meeting shared development aims.
The agenda will also update participants on the joint Communication (European Commission/High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy) 'Connecting Europe and Asia- Building blocks for an EU Strategy' (19.09.18) and how it provides the basis for an EU strategy on connecting Europe and Asia. 'The People to people connectivity', the 'Digital connectivity' and the clear overlap with the 2030 Agenda are of particular interest.
This meeting is especially relevant as we see increasing CSO-LA cooperation at local levels, as well as increased commitment to gender equality and youth economic engagement. The Asia Regional Meeting of the PFD will discuss an architecture for SDG implementation with accountability at its core, highlight key challenges faced in the region, and focus on solutions for just and sustainable development to leave no one behind.
- Session 3: Our host country Nepal: a closer look at work toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Session 5: Regional progress toward the global development agenda: how are we faring?
- Session 7: National progress and voluntary reporting processes
- Session 8.1a: Sharing pilot initiatives/experiences in the region around CSO-LA cooperation
- Session 8.1b: SDG implementation in fragile contexts
- Session 10: Tackling Climate Crisis: Advancing Environmental Justice
- PFD Components Enabling Environment
- Asia and the Pacific: SDG Progress Report 2019
- Connecting Europe and Asia - The EU Strategy
- Joint Communication on Connecting Europe and Asia
- The EU Global Strategy Action Factsheet
- Consensus on Development EN, FR, ES
- 2030 Agenda EN, FR, ES
- PFD Research paper "The PFD and the 2030 Agenda - A multi-stakeholder perspective on SDG implementation" EN, FR, ES
- Factsheet NDICI EN, FR, ES
- Accelerating progress: an empowered, inclusive and equal Asia and the Pacific
- ASEAN Community Vision 2025
- Executive Summary of the Economic and Social Survey of Asia and the Pacific 2019
- Summary factsheet "Towards a sustainable Europe by 2030"