Information event on the job profile of a Development Economist
15 November 2018
SAVE THE DATE!
1. What’s the backbone of sustainable development? A healthy economy that generates sufficient jobs for people and revenue to supply decent public services. We support public policies preferably through budget support because this implies full ownership by the partner and the use – therefore strengthening – of their own systems. Strengthening public finance management and domestic revenue mobilisation are important axes of this work. We also include related aspects such as procurement, debt management and equal opportunities.
2. How to foster the emergence of this healthy economy? An external donor can support the creation of a conducive legal framework, adapted public services and improved business climate to foster private sector development. The private sector creates jobs and incomes, and is a provider of goods and services to the poor, such as food, telecommunication, financial services. Partnerships involve also private companies as key partners in the cost-effective delivery of public goods or services and/or management of a particular infrastructure.
3. International cooperation has added another instrument: investment operations - Investment needs in EU partner countries are substantial. Countries need to attract additional public and private finance to drive economic growth as a basis for poverty reduction. In addition, innovative financial products and financing structures take up the financing needs of MSMEs; sustainable investment addresses climate change and the financing needs of underserved sectors should be tackled.
Session 1; 10.00-12.00 hrs
- Intro – development is underpinned by sustainable economies
- How to foster a healthy economy – what are the instruments
- Budget support
- Public finance management
- Macroeconomic Stability
- Domestic revenue mobilisation
- Private sector development
- Future prospects : MFF
- Share of responsibilities : HQ / delegations
- Experiences in Delegations
Session 2 15.00-17.00 hrs
Career prospects- how to enter the door?
- Trainees (blue book);
- Junior professionals in delegation;
- Contractual agents
- Administrators (civil servants)
The event will be fully web-streamed for all those who cannot attend personally
The morning session (10.00 – 12.00) : https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/infopoint-conference-development-economics-in-practice
The afternoon session (15.00 – 17.00 hrs): https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/infopoint-conference-development-economics-in-practice-2