Do more through capacity4dev
ACP-EU Natural Disaster Risk Reduction Program
About the Program and what we do
The ACP-EU NDRR Program, established in 2011, is an initiative of the ACP Group of States, funded by the EU, and managed by GFDRR. It aims to build resilience to natural disasters by enhancing disaster risk management (DRM) and climate change adaptation (CCA) in African, Caribbean and Pacific countries.
As of March 2016, the ACP-EU NDRR Program has a growing portfolio of 79+ projects and has engaged in various outreach activities.
The Program is carried out through regional, national, and post-disaster activity windows.
Regional projectsaim to strengthen regional and sub-regional cooperation to advance ACP countries’ national agendas for managing disaster risk.
National level projects provide technical assistance for DRM and CCA policy development and implementation.
Post-Disaster projects offer a fast-track mechanism to support ACP countries in the aftermath of a disaster with rapid technical assistance to build back better, boost capacity for post-disaster needs assessments, and integrate DRM into recovery planning.
ACP EU NDRR portfolio by Region and Window (March 2016):
- 38 in Africa; 22 in the Caribbean; 18 in the Pacific; 1 ACP-wide
- 18 regional projects (Window 1) – 36 country-level projects (Window 2) – 25 post-disaster & capacity building (window 3)
- 44 ongoing, 30 completed, 5 under preparation
How we do it
A dedicated GFDRR team in Brussels coordinates the overall implementation of the Program, ensuring day-to-day coordination with the EU, the ACP Secretariat and other partners. The team works closely with GFDRR Secretariat and the World Bank Disaster Risk Management (DRM) Regional teams.
A Steering Committee, comprising of representatives from the European Union, the ACP Secretariat, and the World Bank meets twice a year to review progress, provide advice and guidance, and address needs arising from the implementation of the projects.
Program Snapshot (as of November 2015)
- A wide range of DRM activities, including risk assessments (Timor Leste, Caribbean region, Gambia, Lesotho, Rwanda, Sierra Leone); community-based resilience (Niger, Liberia and Solomon Islands); land use planning (Saint Lucia, Dominican Republic); risk financing (Pacific Catastrophe Risk Assessment and Financing Initiative, Indian Ocean Islands); technical assistance to support preparedness and early warning systems (Sierra Leone, Vanuatu) etc.
- A total of 23 Post-Disaster Assessments and capacity building projects have been undertaken in response to different disaster events. Floods (Mozambique, Malawi, Seychelles, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Lucia, Burundi, Solomon Islands); drought (Kenya, Djibouti); volcanic eruption (Cabo Verde) and storms (Dominica, Vanuatu).
- Examples of leveraging. Post disaster assessments helped to leverage significant recovery and reconstruction investment programs, for example, Vanuatu $65 million (including US$50 million in IDA Crisis Response Window resources), and Malawi, through the US$80 million Malawi Flood Emergency Recovery Project.
For more information, please visit the ACP EU NDRR website: https://www.gfdrr.org/acp-eu