We noticed that you are using an older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer. This website is optimised for Internet Explorer version 9 and later, so please consider upgrading your browser so that you can enjoy all of this website's features. Visit the Microsoft website http://www.microsoft.com to download a newer version of Internet Explorer.
Information about volunteering opportunities
Information about jobs, entrepreneurship, traineeships and holiday work
Education and training opportunities across Europe
Have your say about politics and society, and participate in Structured Dialogue
Arts and entertainment, science and innovation at your fingertips
Everything about your health, well-being and sports
Your rights and services to feel secure and safe
Discovering the world beyond Europe
Practical information about travelling in Europe
|EVS accreditation type||
|EVS accreditation expiry date||07/09/2014|
EVS accreditation number
For more information about volunteering and European Voluntary Service in particular, visit the Voluntary Activities section of this website.Please note, information about organisations and projects is only available in English.
The EVS volunteer will spend a considerable part of his time in the office of AFS Interkultur which is located app. 5 km. from Copenhagen city centre. Copenhagen has approx. 1 mio inhabitants.However, he/she will also be expected to visit AFS local chapters around the country for considerable periods of time.
Generally the volunteer will stay with host families or AFS volunteers during his/her stay in Denmark.
Proposed activities for EVS volunteers:
The volunteer will be based at the office of AFS Interkultur.
AFS Interkultur in Denmark has 12 staff members and more than 2.500 members (of which approx. 1000 are actively engaged in AFS). Our work is very much based on volunteer work and we have more than 46 local chapters including Greenland and the Faroe Island.
The working language is Danish and the EVS volunteer will be expected to learn Danish to a certain degree. Working time is flexible and consists of an average of 5 / 6 working hours per day from Monday to Friday.
The purpose of the activity is to further develop the AFS organisation especially in the Eastern Europe countries where the AFS organisation is still very young.
Therefore, the volunteer will become involved in all aspects of AFS Interkultur’s activities in Denmark both in the main office and in the local chapters all over Denmark. He/she will jobshadow key staff members and volunteers to get an in-depth understanding of the way AFS Interkultur is organising its activities in Denmark.
This implies the following service and learning opportunities for the volunteer:
• The volunteer will be trained and will work on programmatic and administrative issues linked to AFS youth exchange and voluntary service programmes such as: public relations, quality assurance, project management, financial management, networking and partnership building, etc. The volunteer's learning process in the above fields will be supported by on-the-job training whenever needed, structured and informal discussions as well as regular planning and sum-up meetings.
• The volunteer will have access to and will work with publications and on-line information about different types of youth and voluntary service programmes and implementation guidelines, which will enable him/her to gain knowledge about such programmes and the issues at stake when implementing international youth exchange and voluntary service programmes.
• The volunteer from time to time also will be directly involved in the preparation and implementation of meetings and orientations as co-facilitator (i.e. seminars or training courses) This will enable him/her to get a hands-on experience in the running of volunteer youth activities.
• The intercultural dimension will be present throughout the whole EVS experience, given that the trainee will live in Denmark and will be able to explore a new culture on a daily basis. S/he will be able to attend a Danish language course at a local learning institution.
• During the service period, the volunteer will be invited to participate in various activities offered by the local AFS chapters and volunteer committees. In this way the volunteer will have face-to-face encounters with young people and youth workers from a variety of backgrounds and gain further intercultural competence.
AFS will provide a host family for the volunteer. The life in a host family will facilitate the integration in the local community and will accelerate the process of both language and intercultural learning.
Volunteer profiles and recruitment process:
Volunteers already active in the AFS organisation in their home country will be preferred.
The volunteer should be creative and motivated to work in a dynamic intercultural atmosphere. S/he should also be diligent and reliable and willing to work overtime in peak seasons. A good command of English as well as PC literacy (Word, Excel) are essential.
The recruitment process will be made in close cooperation with the AFS sending organisation
Number of volunteers hosted: 1
Risk prevention, protection and safety:
AFS Interkultur complies with Danish safety regulations. The work does not involve any special risks.
AFS Interkultur has been an active partner in the European Youth in Action programme, EVS, since 1997 both as sending and coordinating organisation. We have also participated in the Leonardo programme as well as the Euro-Med programme. AFS motivation to participate in the programme is that the volunteers experience the value of intercultural communication, develop and practice language, leadership and professional skills and participate actively in community activities. Through the meeting with people from other countries the volunteers experience different cultures and way of living and achieve a more balanced view of the intercultural differences and hereby contribute to building a more just and peaceful world through understanding.
The motivation for becoming a host organisation in the EVS program is that we wish to exchange AFS volunteers between AFS Interkultur and other AFS organisations in program and partner countries. The purpose of such an exchange is primarily to develop and strengthen the AFS organisation in Eastern Europe – both in program countries and in partner countries. Secondly AFS Interkultur wish to gain new inspiration from other countries as to the further development of AFS Interkultur in Denmark – especially with an aim to strengthen of its volunteer base.
AFS is an international, voluntary, non-governmental, non-profit organization that provides intercultural learning opportunities to help people develop the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to create a more just and peaceful world.
AFS enables people to act as responsible global citizens working for peace and understanding in a diverse world. It acknowledges that peace is a dynamic concept threatened by injustice, inequity and intolerance.
AFS seeks to affirm faith in the dignity and worth of every human being and of all nations and cultures. It encourages respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms without distinction as to race, sex, language, religion or social status.
AFS Interkultur, Denmark, is partner in the world-wide youth exchange organisation, American Field Service, represented in 55 countries all over the world.
American Field Service is a voluntary based, non-profit NGO organisation, independent of political and religious interest. In Denmark AFS started in 1947 and is today the largest exchange organisation in Denmark with more than 2500 members and more than 46 local chapters including Greenland and the Faroe Island.
AFS Interkultur has been an active partner in the European Youth in Action programme, EVS, since 1997 as a sending, hosting and coordinating organisation. We have also been a partner in the Leonardo programme as well as the Euro-Med programme.
AFS Interkultur offers two main programs in Africa, Asia, Australia, Middle- and South America and Europe., i.e.
• 12-months high school stay abroad for young people between 15 and 18 years (both hosting and sending)
• 6-12 months voluntary work abroad for young people between 18-30 years (both hosting and sending)
• teacher exchange program
At international level AFS exchange about 11.000 young people each year.
|Organisation name||AFS Interkultur|
|Street||Nordre Fasanvej 111|
|Telephone number||+45 3834 3300|
|Fax number||+45 3834 6600|
Last update: 07/09/2011