Georgian Society for the Protection and Safty of Animals
description of organisation
Georgian Society for the Protection and Safety of Animals – GSPSA was founded in 2006. The idea to establish the organization had existed for some years prior to the actual incorporation. Namely, three years before the registration of the organization a shelter for stray dogs was formed with the help and direct participation of the current members of the organization. Since then the shelter has been a home for over a hundred animals, the majority of which has been adopted by animal lovers and caring owners.
The main objectives of GSPSA are protecting and saving animals, preserving biological diversity and establishing protection mechanism and tools, creating harmonious relationships between humans and the animal world, studying international standards and practice as well as integrating the recent best practice and standards into public mentality in Georgia.
The target of GSPSA is working with animals (mainly cats and dogs), but also people who own animals or want to own animals. GSPSA is actively involving the general public and extensively cooperates with volunteers in adoption and donations events and other activities of the organization. We believe that the way we treat the animals is the face of society. The idea was aptly expressed by Mahatma Gandhi as "the greatness of a nation can be judged by how its animals are treated". Therefore, all of our activities are aimed at creating active, aware and compassionate society, which will actively contribute to animal protection and safety, and prevent violence to animals.
Regular activities of the organization are:
Monitoring of municipal shelters in Georgia, weekly adoption events in cooperation with other shelters, maintaining the GSPSA shelter, communicating and cooperating with other organizations and government to improve situation of animal welfare in the country, working on improvement of legislation base (state and local), negotiating with Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources, collecting information on situation regarding endangered wild animals, solving the reported incidents of maltreatment of animals and dealing with other problems, educating and increasing public awareness in animal rights through social and other media (television, radio, printed media) and public events.
Objectives of the organization are:
- The establishment of the maximum possible dynamic parity of the man-animal relationship in Georgia and Caucasus. The humanization of such relationships, the analysis and evaluation of the conditions, factors and results of such co-habitation. The protection and preservation of biological diversity in the animal world.
- The facilitation of the solution of issues relating to animal protection and safety in Georgia and the Caucasus region. The improvement of public awareness and mentality in this field. The analysis and evaluation of humanitarian, ecological, social, psychological, biological, sanitary and hygienic factors and their effects.
- The study and popularization of international standards of harmonized relationship between man and animal world. The translation, publishing and distribution of literature, video and other relevant materials. In parallel to the above, the coverage, detailed analysis and database filing of processes and activities in this field in Georgia and the Caucasus. The organization and delivery of workshops, conferences, trainings and other public educational activities. The creation and distribution of video, TV and other multimedia productions. The full-fledged study of existing problems and the establishment of scientific methods to their solution.
- The establishment of public control over the processes related to the formation of the uniform social environment of domestic and wild animals and the general public, and are targeted at the overall humanization of the social medium. The participation in the development of relevant educational basis and the delivery of educational-popularization activities.
- The education and training of highly skilled staff for the protection and safety of animals.
- The provision of the protection and safety of animals in the event of natural disaster, technological accidents, catastrophes and hostilities, and their aftermath.
- The principal combat against all sorts of violent act (torture, animal fighting, physical destruction, etc.) towards stray dogs, cats and other domestic animals, using all lawful methods available.
- The cooperation with international humanitarian organizations and participation in exchange programs.
- The support and public control over the animal vaccination undertaken by authorized state structures.
- The support in the development of relevant legislative initiatives and legislative base as a result of innovation in the field of animal protection and safety.
This organisation is willing to involve volunteers who face situations which make their participation in activities more difficult, from the following categories for different types of project:
|Inclusion category||Receiving projects||Sending projects||Coordinating projects|