Traineeships at the Council of the European Union
Fancy getting an in-depth understanding of how the main decision-making body of the European Union works? You can apply between 1 June and 31 August to join in the annual selection round.
The General-Secretariat of the Council offers around 100 paid traineeships and 20 unpaid traineeships per year. Traineeships last up to five months and take place during the following periods:
- 1 February to 30 June
- 1 September to 31 January
In order to apply, you should:
- be an EU citizen or a citizen of a candidate country;
- have a thorough knowledge of English or French;
- have obtained a university degree (for a paid traineeship) or have to do a compulsory training period as part of your university studies (for an unpaid traineeship);
- haven't received more than 8 weeks' in-service training (paid or unpaid) in any of the EU institutions or bodies.
How to apply
You should use the online application form in order to submit your application, between 1 June and 31 August of the year preceding the traineeship.If you are interested in an unpaid traineeship, you should apply within the following deadlines:
- 1 October (for February - June traineeships);
- 1 April (for September - January traineeship)