Human rights internship at the UN
What will you do?
As an intern with the OHCHR you will be involved in:
- researching human rights issues
- drafting analytical papers and reports
- providing administrative support in meetings
- field operations and supporting other OHCHR activities.
Are you eligible to apply?
To apply, you must be:
- enrolled in a postgraduate (or equivalent level) study programme during the entire internship
- able to obtain the necessary visa and travel to the UN in Switzerland.
- able to cover the costs of travel, accommodation and living expenses
- able, on being selected, to provide proof of valid medical insurance for your stay in Switzerland, and provide a medical certificate stating that you are in good health as well as proving your enrolment in post-graduate (or equivalent) studies.
- able to communicate fluently in English and/or French.
How can you apply?
The OHCHR has 2 intern selection campaigns each year:
- applications for the internship period July through December must be in by 30 April
- applications for the internship period January through June must be in by 31 October
Applications may be accepted outside of the usual selection campaign.
Internships are a minimum of 2 months and may be renewed up to 6 months maximum.
Do you want to work voluntarily for UN? You can help organizing elections, support peace work and humanitarian projects. UNW hosts the site onlinevolunteering.org where you can find the right project for you. To be a volunteer you must be at least 25 years of age and have some academic or technical education.