Grants offer all kinds of opportunities to do many activities: to finish studies, practices, summer courses, projects, an investigation or art, in other words, to prepare you to practice your profession with more guarantees.
It is a matter of finding the information, deciding which opportunities you can apply for and, finally correctly preparing the documentation that you will need to present. Believe it or not, there are many grant opportunities available, they are offered at any level of study, to do summer courses, to travel abroad in order to expand ones studies or to do an investigation, to study the language of a country, to work as assistant professor or teaching assistant, to participate in an exchange program, to do an internship abroad, etc.
What are the requirements:
- To be a student in the final courses of a degree;
- to have a vocational training title, in a specific specialization or not;
- to have a good academic record;
- to have experience or have done related activities;
- knowledge in the field;
- to have been accepted previously at the wanted center and/or university;
- to not be doing a paid job;
- command of the language spoken in the country where the studies want to be done;
- to be accepted in a university department to do the thesis;
- to have done specialized courses and have investigation experience;
- not to have already been granted another scholarship for the same project/ course/ etc.
How to apply for a grant and becoming a grant holder:
All the calls for competitions for the provision of grants demand to fill in a form, indispensable for the application. For that reason, you have to take into account that normally the entities request a particular documentation which we can prepare in advance, a copy of your identity card or residency permit, a copy of your college certificate or a certified copy of the proof of the college certificate, a certificate of personal academic achievement, recommendation letter signed by a professor, curriculum, documented merits, report of the wanted investigation, certified statement not to incur incompatibilities (all this is just an example, not always it is asked everything that has been mentioned before). Do not send the original documents, it always has to be a certified copy and you need to justify all the information and merits.
Read the call for grants to know the most important aspects, like the number of grants, the cost, and the method of payment, the requisites for the candidates, submission date and place, the selection process, the responsibilities of the grant holder, the renunciation and its consequences, the resources and complaints, etc.
Some useful advices:
- Before applying for a grant, you have to ask yourself the following questions: What do I want to do? Where do I want to go? What language do I master?;
- to keep informed about the opportunities whether if they are valid or not, it will be very useful to collect the information about the time limit from previous years to have it as a reference when preparing the application;
- if you apply for a scholarship for an investigation project, it will be better if the project is innovative;
- if you want to go abroad, it is very important to be accepted in advance by the destination centre;
- to look carefully the applications, the basis, the selection process, the responsibilities as a grant holder;
- in order to solve questions, ask for help to the teachers and other colleagues who have already applied for a scholarship, and also to the people who provide this type of information at youth information centres;
- if you should go abroad, you will need the right levels of the language. Apply for the destination university if it is necessary to apply for the post;
Searching for the information:
Up to now the search of a grant was a difficult task, today all this is becoming much easier: The Internet. Every time there are more and more websites devoted to this issue, the same institutions which offer grants disseminate the information by their webs and all the universities dedicate their sites to inform about scholarships and aids. Also, there are twitter and facebook groups where they are informed about the valid calls.
You know that the first step is to visit a youth information centre where you will find a colleague who will lend you a hand to find what you are looking for.
Best of luck
Written by Qualifed Multiplaier Eurodesk, Palma de Mallorca