Romaní young people, young people in risk of exclusion
This diversity that should be a wealth, a chance to grow as persons learning from each others, unfortunately more often than she should really happen, this becomes into a fight between peoples, religions, cultures, etc. When we say that it happens more times of the due ones, we want to say that an alone time that should happen a discrimination for any question already must be considered to be excessive.
This article wants to centre on the people Roma, and more concretely on the young person Romanis and what better to start talking about their history.
The Romaní people, although historically have lack of documentation, the historians have concluded that this people has his origin in India and more concretely in the northwestern Indian subcontinent, that includes the regions of the Punjab and the Sinth. It´s a people that for historical circumstances has had to be in continuous migration, leaving all their possessions and houses. This happens in the 9th century, when the region was invaded by the Islam and later in the 13th century when they are expelled by the conquest of his territory on the part of the Mongolian people. Since this moment his existence has been I continue peregrinating, happening for Persia, Greece, Armenia and gradually spreading across Europe. Currently there are groups consolidated of gypsies (Kalé, lovari, sinti, kalderash, manouche, romnichal, erlides, etc).
The own people roma recognizes divisions between them based on territorial differences:
- The Kalderás are blacksmiths of the Balkans, many of which emigrated to Central Europe and North America.
- The Gypsies: also called Calé. Mainly in the Iberian peninsula, North of Africa and South of France.
- The Manush: also known as Sinti. Majority in Alsace and other regions of France and Germany.
- The Romnichal (Romaníes): mainly in United Kingdom and North America.
- The Erlides: also known as Yerlii. Roma population seated in Europa's Southeast and Turkey.
Groups Roma people taking the language as a reference:
- The gypsies of the Balkans: a large Turkish vocabulary.
- The Vlax: emigrated to the current Romania and they have a great Rumanian influence in their dialects.
- The Roma of the Carpathians: they are in Czech, in Slovakia, in Hungary and in Austria, with numerous Slavic lexemes in his language.
- The Northern Roma: with a strong Germanic influence.
The total population in these moments in Europe comes being of approximately 8-9 million persons who represent 1,1 % of the total population in Europe.
Howevers we must escape of the typical topics and try with the effort of all for an integration and social full incorporation of this group at risk of exclusion.
We take as reference the situation in Spain which could be extensible to Europe.
In reference to the situation of this people in the shooling and education of their young, although advances has been made recognize that these are very slow being the lowest rates of child Education for the whole population. In the case of primary Education enrollment is almost standardized, but not less certain it is that the school absenteeism and the premature abandon continues being unacceptable. In the secondary education it would help the case of the gypsy young women it is alarming. This happens in Europe but in Spain the data is alarming in some aspects.
According to different organizations and after having consulted the National Strategy for the social inclusion of Roma in Spain, the information is the following ones:
- Between 1994 and 2009 there has taken place an advance of almost 30 points in the percentage of Roma children who have been present at the Infantile Education.
- The enrollment rate among young people 13-15 years in 2007 was 84 %, the male rate higher than the woman, who only came to 71,7 %.
- In high school, only 1.6 % of the roma population had reached it in 2007.
- University Studies only 0,3 % of the roma population had reached in 2007.
About the employment and the economic activity, contrary to stereotypes indicate, the roma is a working population from very early ages, up to very advanced ages, but that due to their low ruled preparation, are in the habit of being temporary works, of low remuneration and to precarious working conditions.
All this makes do a reflection and raises some questions. Do we really have not advanced in recent times anything in questions of exclusion of the people Roma? Who is to blame, the one, the other, or both? Can it ever be solved some day?
Written by Eurodesk Qualified Multiplier, Castilla la Mancha