Get Informed and Protect yourself from Online dangers!
Facebook, Twitter and Ask.Fm are social networking sites that give you the opportunity to network with other people you know in real life. For a person to be able to register as a user in the above social networking sites must be over 13 years old.
Facebook allows you to create your personal profile where you can post a wealth of information, including your favorite songs, photos, interests, and even share your thoughts with your friends.
Through Twitter, you can communicate with other people through the exchange of short messages called «tweets». These messages can be read by other unregistered users when they are not protected. But in order for someone to publish a message he or she should be a registered user of Twitter.
Ask.Fm is based on questions you can ask another user. The operation is relatively simple and a person does not need to create a profile. People can enter the network and see how it works and even ask other users questions. However, to receive questions you need to have a personal profile.
The use of social networking sites can provide several benefits to each user. However it is very important to know how to properly use these networks in order to protect your personal data. Below we will give you some protection advice during and after the creation of your personal account in Facebook, Twitter and Ask.Fm:
- It is important when creating an account on a social networking site, the information you provide to be limited to essential information such as name, age and email (email). For example, phone number, address, school, and ID number should never be posted online.
- The password you choose should consist of letters, numbers and symbols. This way it will be too difficult for someone to "break" your password and get into your personal profile. Remember that you should never give your password to anyone.
- After creating your account, it is important to change the default security and privacy settings. This way, you will manage what information you will share with other users and who can have access to your profile.
- Think before you post a text message, a photo or a video. Ask yourself if this information you intend to post is ok and fine to be seen by your future employers, friends or your family.
- If you receive unwanted or offensive messages (eg text, audio-visual video, etc.), you have the ability to report or block the person through the social networking pages.
- Choose carefully and wisely the people you add to your personal network, since sometimes, those who communicate with us online and we do not know them in real life, are not who they claim to be.
- Beware of suspicious links that can be posted to your profile or profiles of other users. Such links can contain various viruses or fake websites that are designed to get your personal data.
- Always use HTTPS in the address bar of browsers for a safer connection.
- Always log out from your account. By just closing the browser does not mean that your account on the social network you use has disconnected on its own, it has not.
Finally, if you encounter illegal material or receiving harassment through social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Ask.Fm can directly contact the Helpline of the Cyprus Safer Internet Centre «CyberEthics». Our line is in operation since 2009 and aims to provide information on the safe use of the internet, but also to support and guide persons who have undergone any form of harassment via the internet. Our line is aimed at young children, parents and teachers. Additionally, we operate confidentially and anonymously.
As Safer Internet Helpline we collaborate with the Department of Electronic Crime of the Cyprus Police and with the pages of social networking and we have the potential for direct contact with representatives of Facebook, Twitter and Ask.Fm. The helpline is open daily from 9:00 until 19:00 at 70000 116. There is also the possibility of chat through our website (www.cyberethics.info or www.helpline.cyberethics.info) from 15:00 until 19:00, by email, through offline chat 24/7 and finally through our "HotHelp" App for mobile phones (Android, iOS) which is available at the «stores» for apps software .
CyberEthics is cofunded by the Safer Internet Programme of the European Union.