Social Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in Cyprus
In Cyprus the department that is responsible for the rights’ protection of people with disabilities is the governmental “Department for Social Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities”.
What does this department do?
This department is responsible for taking the necessary actions and implementing the appropriate programmes in order to empower and support the human rights of people with disabilities. In this way, it attempts to enhance the efficient participation of people with disabilities in the society of Cyprus.
What is the mission of the department?
The mission of this department is to coordinate and achieve the realization of the social policies of people with disabilities in Cyprus through the cooperation with the relevant co-responsible Ministries and Services and the Pancyprian Confederation of the Organisations of Persons with Disabilities.
Both the Department and the Council work in order to promote the UN convention on the rights of People with Disabilities in Cyprus.
What are the services and the social benefits of people with disabilities through the UN convention on the rights of Persons with Disabilities?
Cyprus has adopted and implements the UN convention on the rights of Persons with Disabilities in Cyprus.
The general principles of the convention are the following:
- Respect for inherent dignity, individual autonomy including the freedom to make one’s own choices, and independence of persons;
- Full and effective participation and inclusion in society;
- Respect for difference and acceptance of persons with disabilities as part of human diversity and humanity;
- Equality of opportunity;
- Equality between men and women;
- Respect for the evolving capacities of children with disabilities and respect for the right of children with disabilities to preserve their identities.
(The above principles can be found at the webpage of the “Department for Social Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities”)