Youth for Europe exchanges and projects – learning by doing
"Slainte agus An Oige" gathered 40 young people from Ireland, Lithuania, Poland and the UK in Omagh, Northern Ireland. The aim was to provide young people with a framework for a healthy lifestyle by participating in outdoor activities. Young people tried out different sports and took part in workshops. Each country group also made a presentation on their country's culture and history. The programme helped build self-esteem, acceptance of other people, open minds, learn about other cultures and value different countries.
National Youth Initiative
In Turkey, 12 young people cooperated with a local NGO on a project to teach street children basic computer skills. To give this National Youth Initiative a European dimension, the young people also researched the situation of children in similar situations in other European countries. The group gathered this information, shared their findings and discussed similarities and differences in conditions for street kids in European countries.
Youth Democracy Project
The municipalities of Mynämäki and Lieto in Finland and two youth groups from Kjøllefjord in Norway carried out a youth democracy project in both countries. Aged 15-17, a few of them active in local youth councils, the young people come from small and remote communities. The aim of the project was to find out about decision-making systems and to bring young people and decision-makers closer together. The young people built a Dream Village where the groups simulate decision-making in municipal councils, and examined representative democracy at work.
How to apply
You must be:
- between 13 and 30 or active in youth work/youth organisations
- living in one of the eligible countries.
For projects submitted to a National Agency there are 3 application deadlines per year:
- 1 February – for projects starting between 1 May and 31 October
- 1 May – for projects starting between 1 August and 31 January
- 1 October – for projects starting between 1 January and 30 June
For projects submitted to the EACEA Executive Agency there are also 3 application deadlines a year:
- 1 February - for projects starting between 1 August and 31 December
- 1 June – for projects starting between 1 December and 30 April
- 1 September – for projects starting between 1 March and 31 July