Institutions and offers of higher education in Austria
Programmes are offered by:
- Universities of the Arts
- Universities of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschulen)
- University Training Courses / University Level Courses (Universitätslehrgänge)
- University Colleges of Teacher Education
- Private Universities
cover a broad range of subjects from “standard” fields like Architecture, Law or Economics to more special interest studies like Egyptology or Byzantine Studies. Degree programmes are divided into bachelor programmes (BA, undergraduate), master programmes (MA, graduate) and doctoral studies (PhD, postgraduate). Sometimes you can still come across the old expired two-tier degree system split in diploma and doctoral studies.
Universities of Applied Sciences
focus on more practice-oriented courses including compulsory placements and practical projects involving commercial enterprises. In addition to full-time study programmes also part-time study programmes for working students are available.
University Training Courses / University Level Courses
are continuing education programmes for degree and non-degree students who wish to acquire specialist knowledge in a certain field.
At the moment there are 12 accredited Private Universities in Austria, operating mostly in the fields of medicine, economics and music.
- school leaving certificate (A-levels) or equivalent
- proof of knowledge of German for non-native speakers
Additional for Non-EU-citizens
- admission statement (Studienplatznachweis) for the chosen degree programme to prove that you have a place at a university in the same country that issued the school leaving certificate.
- For some degree programmes like Medicine there are only limited number of places, so you have to sit an entrance exam!
- There are always restrictions for access at the Universities of Applied Sciences, prepare for an assessment centre!
- For some degree programmes supplementary qualifications are required.
Please always check with your university of choice for possible entrance exams or additional qualifications needed as well as for admission procedures and deadlines!