Navigation path

Updated : 20/04/2016


Equal treatment

As EU nationals working in another EU country, you and your family are entitled to be treated as nationals of that country.

This means you are entitled to the same benefits as native workers from the day you start working there.

You are therefore entitled to receive benefits granted to nationals of the country because they are working there (employed or self-employed). This may also include advantages not directly connected to employment: reduced train fares, top-up pensions, educational grants, or unemployment benefits for your children when looking for their first job.

You may also be eligible for non-financial benefits (e.g. the right to interpretation during legal proceedings).

If you live in the country, you will also be entitled to receive benefits granted to workers and their families for living there.

If you live in a different country from where you work (cross-border commuter), you will acquire the right to live there even if you are not a national: if you work across the border, you will be considered as having sufficient means to support yourself.

Sample story

Find out which benefits you're entitled to in your new country

Rosita is from Italy, but lives and works in France with her husband and 3 children. She applies for a discounted train pass for large families, but had it refused because neither she nor her children are French.

Rosita should insist and, if necessary, seek help from the various EU assistance services. Indeed, all EU workers with large families (in many countries, 3 or more children) are entitled to cheaper train travel in the country where they work from the day they start work - if such reductions exist and are offered to nationals of that country.

Staying abroad after losing your job

If you lose your job while living in another country, you are still entitled to live there. Check conditions and formalities.

Looking for a job abroad?
Start your search here - job openings
Need support from assistance services?
Get help and advice