Navigation path

Updated : 04/09/2014


Declaration on professional qualifications

To work temporarily in another EU country, you don't need to apply to have your qualifications recognised.

You may, however, need to make a written declaration (paper or electronic) in the country you're going to if:

To find out if this is required, check with the national authorities in the host country.

For any further help or information with the formalities required to practice your profession, contact the host-country contact point for professional qualifications.


If a declaration is required, you must submit it:

  • directly to the host-country authority responsible for your profession (to find out which authority this is, ask the national contact point there).
  • any time before you start working in the host country (even if you're not certain you'll actually be working).
  • once a year only (not every time you wish to provide a particular service).

It should contain the following:

  • name, surname and contact details
  • nationality
  • profession in the country where you usually work and profession you wish to practise in the host country
  • information on your professional liability insurance: insurer, contract number (ask your employer)
  • reference to any declarations submitted previously in the same country.

And the following supporting documents:

  • proof of your nationality
  • proof you are legally established in an EU country and not prohibited from practising, even temporarily
  • evidence of professional qualifications
  • proof you have practised the profession in question for at least 2 of the last 10 years (when neither the profession nor the training for it was regulated in the country where you are legally established)
  • proof you have never been convicted of any serious criminal offence (if you have a security-related job, for example security guard).

The means of proof may vary from country to country. Contact the responsible authority to check which type of documents will be accepted as proof.

Professions with health or safety impact on clients

If the profession you want to practise involves a potential threat to public health or safety, your host country may want to check your qualifications in advance.

This means you can't start working until this has happened and you have received formal authorisation.

Does your profession require this advance check? Ask the host-country contact point for professional qualifications.

If it does, it can take 1 - 4 months longer (after the authority receives your declaration) to get the authorisation you need.

To speed up the authorisation, make sure your declaration contains all the right information and documents. Missing documents or mistakes can cause unnecessary delays.

The host-country authority may also impose additional conditions such as asking you to pass a test or begin your stay with a period of supervised work.

Usually, you're expected to comply with these conditions 1 month after being informed of them. If this is not possible (for example you have to pass a test, but no tests will be organised in that period), you can call on our assistance services.

Certified translations

If your qualifications are verified - because of a potential health or safety impact on clients - you may be asked to provide a certified translation of your documents.

However, EU rules state that:

  • this requirement applies only to key documents, such as the qualifications themselves.
  • the authorities are obliged to accept sworn translations from other EU countries.

National identity cards, passports, etc. are NOT considered key documents and need not be translated.

In addition, the following professionals are not required to provide a certified translation of their qualifications:

  • doctors
  • general nurses
  • midwives
  • veterinary surgeons
  • dental surgeons
  • pharmacists
  • architects.

The information above is a summary of complex laws with numerous exceptions.

To make sure those exceptions do not apply to you, read the EU guide to recognition of professional qualifications [186 KB] Deutsch español français italiano polski .

Help and advice


In this case, the 27 EU member states + Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

Retour au texte en cours.