Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Taxes – United Kingdom

Updated : 24/02/2014

Income taxes abroad

What's your situation?

I'm self-employed

Which income will be taxed in United Kingdom?

  • Live in the United Kingdom? You must pay tax on your worldwide income there.

    (criterion: you lived there for at least 183 days in a 12‑month period)

  • Live in the United Kingdom but for less than 183 days? You are not considered tax resident and pay tax only on the income earned in the UK.

  • Income from other EU countries? Check you never pay tax twice on the same income.

As soon as you start working in the UK as a self-employed person, you have to register to pay flat-rate Class 2 social security each week. Class 4 social security is levied on UK profits with income tax.

How much will you pay?

What's left of your gross income in the United Kingdom after deduction of taxes and social-security contributions?

Online tax calculator - United Kingdom

Income tax rates

Income tax is progressive — the more you earn, the higher your rate.

Info on taxation in the UK

Income tax rates and allowances

Take into account:

  • tax allowances available for all British residents
  • any deductions you are entitled to for certain types of expenditure.

Check here for social security contributions.

When and how do you pay?

You are required to complete a "self assessment" tax return every year, providing full details of your income and capital gains. These figures will determine the amount of tax you will be required to pay (subject to any further checks).

The tax year runs from April 6th until April 5th of the next year.

Deadline for paper tax returns — 31 October.

Deadline for online tax returns — 31 January.

How to appeal / complain

If you don't agree with the way your tax affairs have been handled or wish to appeal against a HM Revenue & Customs decision, you can file a tax complaint.


Tax laws – EU and individual countries

Check also what your EU rights are.

Contact points

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get expert advice from the European business support network

Solve problems with a public body