Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Taxes – Switzerland

Updated : 24/02/2014

Income taxes abroad

What's your situation?

I am a self-employed

Which income will be taxed in Switzerland?

  • Resident in Switzerland? You must pay tax on your worldwide income there.

    (criterion: you live there for at least 180 days over 12 months or stay in the same place for 90 consecutive days a year)

  • Not resident in Switzerland? You only pay tax on income earned there.

  • Income from other EU countries? Check you never pay tax twice on the same income.

You should not be considered tax resident in more than one country. If this is the case, complain to the tax administrations dealing with your case.

How much will I pay?

What's left of your gross income in Switzerland after deduction of taxes and social security contributions?

Income tax calculator – Switzerland Deutsch

Income tax rates for 2010

Income tax is a mix of national, cantonal and local (commune) tax. Rates depend on where you live and how much you earn.

The total is not usually over 40%. For example, in the Schwyz canton, the top rate (all 3 taxes combined) is around 22%.

In calculating your taxable income, take into account any allowances or deductions for expenditure you are entitled to.

How and when do I pay?

You have to file a tax return every year. The procedures are different in each canton.

How to appeal / complain

If you disagree with your tax assessment, you can appeal to the tax office.

For details of exactly where and how to appeal, see your tax assessment letter.


Swiss finance ministry

Check also what your EU rights are.

Contact points

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get expert advice from the European business support network

Solve problems with a public body