Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Taxes – Sweden

Updated : 21/05/2014

Income taxes abroad

What's your situation?

I'm self-employed

Which income will be taxed in Sweden?

  • Live in Sweden? (for more than 6 months in the tax year) You must pay tax on your worldwide income there.

  • Live in Sweden less than 6 months a year? You pay tax only on income earned there.

  • Permanent business base in Sweden? You must pay tax on income from any business activities carried out from that base.

  • Income from other EU countries? Check you never pay tax twice on the same income.

How much will you pay?

What's left of your gross income in Sweden after deduction of taxes and social security contributions?

Income tax calculator - Sweden svenska

Tax rates - Sweden svenska

Take into account any:

  • tax allowances
  • deductions you are entitled to for certain types of expenditure.

When and how do you pay?

You must apply for a "business tax card" from the Swedish Tax Agency.

As a general rule, you have to pay tax in advance, based on the final amount of tax you paid in the previous year. You pay this tax during the current tax year (February – January), in equal instalments each month.

You must file an income tax return by 2 May.

At the latest by the following December, you will receive a final statement, showing the tax you've already paid and any amounts due to or from you.

Sweden - tax calendar svenska

How to appeal / complain

If you disagree with your tax assessment, you can appeal to the tax office svenska that made the assessment.

Read your tax assessment letter carefully to find out exactly which department you should send your appeal to and which procedures you need to follow.


Swedish tax agency svenska

Taxation system in Sweden svenska (brochures)

Tax laws - EU and individual countries

Check also what your EU rights are.

Contact points

Tax office svenska

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get expert advice from the European business support network

Solve problems with a public body