Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Taxes – Norway

Updated : 24/02/2014

Income taxes abroad

What's your situation?

I'm an employee

Which income will be taxed in Norway?

  • Live in Norway? (min. 183 consecutive days over 12 months) You must pay tax on your worldwide income there.

  • Lived in Norway less than 183 consecutive days? You are not considered tax resident and only pay tax on income earned in Norway.

  • Income from other EU countries? Check you never pay tax twice on the same income.

How much will you pay?

What's left of your gross income in Norway after deduction of taxes and social security contributions?

Income tax calculator - Norway norsk           

Income tax rates for 2013

To calculate your total tax bill:

1. Work out your taxable income by subtracting any applicable allowances or deductions for expenditure

2. Work out the rate that applies to it by combining these 3:

  • combined national and municipal income tax — 28%
      (24.5% in Finnmark and Nord-Troms counties).
  • top tax — 0 — 12% (depending on your income)
  • social security contribution (NIS) — 7.8%.

When and how do you pay?

Before or on starting work in Norway, you must:

  • apply to your local tax office for a tax deduction card
  • give it to your employer — they will deduct the percentage stated on the card from your salary.

You must also file a tax return (selvangivelse) by 30 April every year.

How to appeal / complain

If you disagree with your tax assessment, you can appeal to the tax office norsk . For details of exactly where and how, see your tax assessment letter.


Norwegian tax administration - international site

Norwegian tax administration norsk

Check also what your EU rights are.

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get expert advice from the European business support network