Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Taxes – Ireland

Updated : 24/02/2014

Income taxes abroad

What's your situation?

I'm self-employed

Which income will be taxed in Ireland?

  • Live in Ireland? You must pay tax on your worldwide income there.

    (criteria are: presence in Ireland for 183 days or more in the tax year or for 280 days or more in the tax year and the previous year)

  • Lived in Ireland but less than as indicated above? You are not considered tax resident and pay tax only on income earned in Ireland.
  • Income from other EU countries? Check you never pay tax twice on the same income.

How much will you pay?

Income tax rates in 2013

Income tax rates in 2013 (for a single person)


Annual income



up to €32,800



over €32,801


Take into account any tax credits. Their amount depends on your personal situation.

When and how do you pay?

Under the "Self-Assessment" system there is a common date for the payment of tax and filing of tax returns, i.e. 31 October. This system, which is known as 'Pay and File' allows you to file your return and pay the balance of tax outstanding for the previous year at the same time. Under this system you must:

  • Pay preliminary tax for the current tax year on or before 31 October each year,
  • Make your tax return after the end of the tax year but not later than the following 31 October.
  • Pay any balance of tax due for the previous tax year on or before 31 October.

E-filing is mandatory in certain situations.

How to appeal / complain

The Customer Service Standards set out in detail the level of service you can expect in your dealings with the Irish tax authorities.

Read your tax assessment letter carefully to find out where exactly you should lodge an appeal (if you need to do so) and which procedures you need to follow.


Irish tax and customs

Tax laws - EU and individual countries

Check also what your EU rights are.

Contact points

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get expert advice from the European business support network

Solve problems with a public body