Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Taxes – Ireland

Updated : 24/02/2014

Income taxes abroad

What's your situation?

I'm an employee

Which income will be taxed in Ireland?

  • Live in Ireland? You must pay tax on your worldwide income there.

    (criteria are: presence in Ireland for 183 days or more in the tax year or for 280 days or more in the tax year and the previous year)

  • Lived in Ireland but less days than as indicated above? You are not considered tax resident and pay tax only on income earned in Ireland.
  • Income from other EU countries? Check you never pay tax twice on the same income.

How much will you pay?

Income tax rates in 2013

Income tax rates in 2013 (for a single person)


Annual income



up to €32,800



over €32,801


Take into account any tax credits. Their amount depends on your personal situation.

When and how do you pay?

Under the “Pay As You Earn” (PAYE) system, your employer — under instruction from the Irish tax and customs office — Revenue — will deduct income tax from your wages and report it to the tax authorities.

How to appeal / complain

The Customer Service Standards set out in detail the level of service you can expect in your dealings with Revenue. Read your tax assessment letter carefully to find out where exactly you should lodge an appeal (if you need to do so) and which procedures you need to follow.


Irish tax and customs

Check also what your EU rights are.

Contact points

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get advice on your EU rights

Solve problems with a public body