Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Taxes – Iceland

Updated : 24/02/2014

Income taxes abroad

What's your situation?

I'm self-employed

Which income will be taxed in Iceland?

  • Live in Iceland? (min. 183 days in a 12 month period) You must pay tax on your worldwide income there.

  • Lived in Iceland less than 183 days in a 12-month period? You are not considered tax resident and only pay tax on income earned in Iceland.

  • Income from other EU countries? Check you never pay tax twice on the same income.

How much will you pay?

Combined national and municipal income tax rates for 2011


Annual income



up to ISK 229,999



ISK 230,000 – 474,366



ISK 474,367 – 704,366



over ISK 704,367


When and how do you pay?

Before you start working in Iceland, you must apply for a tax card from the Internal Revenue Directorate.

Every year you must file a tax return.

How to appeal/complain

If you disagree with your tax assessment, you can complain in writing to the local tax commissioner within 30 days of the assessment.

For details of exactly where and how, see your tax assessment letter.

If you are not satisfied with the tax commissioner's ruling you can appeal further to Yfirskattanefnd (Internal Revenue Board), within 3 months of the ruling.


Iceland - Internal Revenue Directorate

EU tax law - by country

Check also what your EU rights are.

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get expert advice from the European business support network

Solve problems with a public body