Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Taxes – Denmark

Updated : 22/05/2014

Income taxes abroad

What's your situation?

I'm an employee

Which income will be taxed in Denmark?

  • Live in Denmark currently (or for 6 months or more during the last tax year)? You must pay tax on your worldwide income there.

  • Income from other EU countries? Check you never pay tax twice on the same income.

  • Did you pay tax in another country? Even if Denmark has no agreement with that country, you might be entitled to deduct tax paid there.

How much will you pay?

What's left of your gross income in Denmark after deduction of taxes and social security contributions?

Income tax calculator — Denmark dansk

Income tax rates for 2013

Denmark has a complex system of personal income tax that includes:

  • a labour market contribution of 8% of your entire income (employees and self-employed workers)
  • a deduction before any tax is due: personal allowance of DKK 42,000 (under 18 DKK 31,500) for municipal taxes, health contributions of 6% and bottom-bracket tax of 5.83%
  • highest tax bracket of 15% on income above DKK 421,900
  • municipal income tax and church tax – payable at flat rates, which vary depending on where you live (average 2011 rate: 25.7%)
  • social security contributions.

In total, no person must pay more than 51.5% in national and municipal taxes combined.

When and how do you pay?

Your employer must deduct tax and social security contributions from your salary, at the rate indicated by the tax authorities on your tax card dansk.

How to appeal/complain

If you disagree with your tax assessment, you can complain to the local tax authorities dansk.

For details of exactly where and how, see your tax assessment letter.

As a next step, you can complain to the Landsskatteret (tax tribunal). The matter may subsequently be pursued in the Landsret (court) or Højesteret (High Court).


Danish central tax administration

Local tax offices – help and advice dansk

Check also what your EU rights are.

Contact points

Local tax authorities dansk

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get expert advice from the European business support network