Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Taxes – Bulgaria

Updated : 22/05/2014

Income taxes abroad

What's your situation?

I'm self-employed

Which income will be taxed in Bulgaria?

  • Live in Bulgaria (min. 6 months in the tax year)? You must pay tax on your worldwide income there.

  • Lived in Bulgaria but less than 6 months in the tax year? You are not considered tax resident and pay tax only on income earned in Bulgaria.

  • Income from other EU countries? Check you never pay tax twice on the same income.

How much will you pay?

What's left of your gross income in Bulgaria after deduction of taxes and social security contributions?

Online tax calculator - Bulgaria

Tax rate

Self-employed persons - that is, those classified as a "business" under the Bulgarian Act on Commercial Registration - pay a flat rate of 10% on their annual tax base.

  • Annual tax base = your taxable income minus social security contributions and minus any tax exemptions.
  • Taxable income = the income you earn minus deductible expenses of 25 to 60% depending on your profession.

You may be entitled to a tax allowance, which varies depending on your personal circumstances, and some deductions for certain types of expenditure.

When and how do you pay?

If you earn income from business activities, but are not classified as a "business" under the Bulgarian Act on Commercial Registration, you must:

  • pay tax in advance every month on any income earned, by the 15th of the following month
  • file an annual tax return by 30 April of the year following that in which you earned the income.

How to appeal/complain

If you disagree with your tax assessment, you can appeal to the tax office. Read your tax assessment letter carefully to find out exactly which department you should send your appeal to and which procedures you need to follow.


Tax laws – EU and individual countries

Bulgarian government – income tax info

Check also what your EU rights are.

Contact points

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get expert advice from the European business support network

Solve problems with a public body