Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Taxes – Belgium

Updated : 12/06/2014

Income taxes abroad

What's your situation?

I'm self-employed

Which income will be taxed in Belgium?

  • Live in Belgium (min. 6 months in the tax year)? You have to pay tax on your worldwide income there.

  • Lived in Belgium less than 6 months in the tax year? You are not considered tax resident and only pay tax on income earned in Belgium.

  • Income from other EU countries? Check you never pay tax twice on the same income.

How much will you pay?

What's left of your gross income in Belgium after deduction of taxes and social security contributions?

Online tax calculator - Belgium

Income tax is progressive — the more you earn, the higher your rate.

You are entitled to a basic tax-free allowance, which may vary depending on your personal circumstances, and maybe some deductions for certain types of expenditure.

Income tax rates for 2012 (declared in 2013 return)


Annual income



up to €8,350



€8,350.01 – €11,890



€11,890.01 – €19,810



€19,810.01 – €36,300



over €36,300.01


When and how do you pay?

Income tax (impôt des personnes physiques or personenbelasting) is assessed once a year.

How to appeal/complain

If you disagree with your tax assessment, you can appeal to the tax office français.

Read your tax assessment letter carefully to find out exactly which department you should send your appeal to and which procedures you need to follow.

More info

Belgian government – income tax info     

Tax laws –  EU and individual countries

Check also what your EU rights are.

Contact points

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get expert advice from the European business support network

Solve problems with a public body