Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 01/03/2017

Car registration and taxes – Estonia

Choose country

Common rights across EU countries

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

Registration rules

As an EU national moving to Estonia, you must register your car if you are the owner of the vehicle.

Time allowed for re-registering a vehicle

If you change your country of residence to Estonia, you have 5 days to re-register a vehicle previously registered in another EU country – starting from the day you start using your car in Estonia.

To re-register a vehicle previously registered in another EU country, go to the Estonian Road Administration.

Temporary registration plates

If you buy a car abroad, transit registration plates issued in another EU country will be recognised in Estonia for the purposes of driving your car back to your place of residence.

You can get the transit plates from the Estonian Road Administration, for EUR 60.

Exemptions from the obligation to register a vehicle

As an EU national moving to Estonia, you can use your vehicle here while it is still registered in your previous home country.

You can use it for 12 months under the following conditions:

  • you live permanently in a foreign country
  • you have used your car less than 12 months in Estonia

If you use your car more than 12 months in Estonia, you must register it and pay a registration fee.

To register vehicle in Estonia you must submit following documents:

  • application
  • act of pre-registration roadworthiness test
  • documents proving ownership
  • registration certificate
  • conformity certificate
  • customs documents
  • expertise act
  • act of old vehicle


If you are a student in Estonia from another EU country you:

  • must register your own car with the authorities here for the duration of your studies if you live permanently in Estonia. This does not apply if the car is owned by your parents, who are not resident in Estonia.
  • must pay registration and/or road taxes on it in Estonia.
  • must buy additional car insurance for the duration of your studies here.

If, as a student, you are also working in Estonia, you must register the vehicle and pay related taxes.

Pensioners, second home owners, cross-border commuters, self-employed cross-border commuters (company cars)

As EU nationals with a second home in Estonia (that you use for no more than 6 months a year), you do not need to register your vehicle here.

You are exempt from compulsory car registration if you meet the following criteria:

  • you live permanently in a foreign country.
  • you use your car less than 12 months in Estonia.

Car tax

As an EU national, if you want to register and use your car in Estonia, you must pay the following taxes:

  • registration taxes: EUR 130 (vehicle registration) + EUR 62 (registration plates).

If you do not register your vehicle in Estonia, it is not subject to any taxes.

See main information on this topic
Car registration and taxes
Public consultations
    Need more information on rules in a specific country?
    Ask national administrations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice