Navigation path

Updated : 23/06/2015

Car registration and taxes – Austria

Choose country

Choose country

Common rights across EU countries

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

Vehicle registration rules for new residents

If you have your principal residence in Austria, you can drive your car/trailer on foreign plates for one month.

The one-month period starts when you import the car into Austria and may be extended by one extra month if you can prove it was impossible to register within the first month. No additional extension is possible.

Once these periods have expired the registration certificate and the foreign number plates are to be turned in either to the Federal police headquarters Deutsch in your region or to your district administration Deutsch [Bezirkshauptmannschaft]. You must now use Austrian number plates, for which registration is required.

Help and advice

Help and advice

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Get advice on your EU rights / Solve problems with a public body